It’s Frances Byrne here with today’s Pop it Ups Wednesday with tutorial. A few weeks ago I set upon trying to reorganise some old cards I created using various technique which I wanted to keep for future reference. While I didn’t get very far with the reorganisation, I did rediscover a few tent cards I had previously created and this lead me to thinking of using the Oval Accordion Card die set which is what I have used for my card today. I love when a die can have more than one purpose for us to use it for.
Here is how I created my card:
The Card Base –
1. Cut out the following:
- 1 Aqua Card that measures 5 1/2″ x 4 1/2″
- 1 Aqua Card that measures 5 1/2″ x 3″
- 1 Designer Paper that measures 51/4″ x 4 1/4″ (not shown in photo above.
- Die Cut large Oval Accordion Page die from Aqua Card
- Die Cut Oval Dots Frame Edges die set from Teal Card (you need 2 large and 2 small frames). To make adhering of the frame edges to the accordion pages easier, adhere a sheet of Transparent Double-Sided Tape to cardstock before you die cut your frame edges pieces.
2. Adhere the Teal Oval Dots Frame Edges to the Aqua Accordion Card panel as per photo above.
- Use a score board and score the 5 1/2″ x 3″ Aqua card along the short edge at 1/2″; 1 1/2″ and 2 1/2″.
3. Place adhesive to the tab of the Oval Accordion page and attach this to the inside of the 5 1/2″ x 4 1/2″ panel as shown in top photo above.
- Place adhesive on one of the 1/2″ tabs we created to the narrow scored piece of card and attach this to the other end of the 5 1/2″ x 4 1/2″ panel.
- Adhere the designer paper to the centre panel (this will help hide the tabs and be a decorative feature when the card is finished)
4. Creating the images to decorate the card –
a. Before reading the instructions below, you can see a video Els created using this technique HERE.
b. Place a sheet of Transparent Double-Sided Adhesive onto cardstock that is big enough for your peel-offs and remove the release sheet.
c. Be careful not to touch the adhesive or it will leave fingerprints in the glitter.
d. From the Lots of Owls peel offs, place the owl couple; small owl and branch onto the release sheet sticky side up.
e. Place the cardstock that has Transparent Double-Sided Adhesive on top of the peel off. (In other words, place sticky onto sticky.)
f. Use release sheet in handling the cardstock until you cover the adhesive with glitter so you don’t leave fingerprints.
g. Cover the adhesive with Warm Diamond Silk Microfine Glitter, polish glitter with your finger and brush excess off.
h. Color your images as desired using alcohol-based markers on the glitter.
i. Cut around all peel off pieces.
j. Color white edges with a black permanent marker to give a more finished look.
* Coloring Tips for alcohol-based markers and glitter: Remember that when using alcohol-based markers, such as Copics, work quickly and don’t let the tip of the marker linger on the glittered surface. Too much alcohol ink can dissolve the adhesive and remove the glitter. It takes very little ink to color the surface of the glittered image so work with a light touch. To get the faded look, lay a line of color down along one edge of the section you want to color and then use your Blender pen to pull the color across the rest of the image. You may have to lay more color down to get deeper shading after you blend it out.
5. Die cut the large oval from the Oval Accordion Card set from white card. Punch two tiny holes at the top of the oval and also at the fold line at the top of the card where the Accordion page is attached to the back panel.
- Use cord to thread through the holes. Ensure that the oval is centred in the large oval before tying off the cord in a knot behind the white oval.
- Place adhesive on the remaining tab of the scored narrow panel at bottom of card and adhere the bottom of the oval accordion to the tab. (You may need to trim the tab slightly if you have any overhang showing through the oval
6. Attach the Owl Couple Peel off stickers using foam tape to the oval that is now hanging in the centre of the card. (I die cut another oval shape, sponged the edges and adhered this over the hanging oval to hide the holes at the top of the oval, but this is optional)
- Adhere the branch and the small oval using foam tape to the lower right hand side of my card.
- Die cut the speech bubble from the Rectangle Accordion Card die set from white card and the Hello also from this set from aqua card. Adhere the sentiment to the speech bubble and attach to the top left corner of card using foam tape.
One last photo showing the view of the tent card from the side.
Thanks for stopping by today. I hope you have enjoyed my tutorial.
Supplies:Elizabeth Craft Designs: 772 Accordion Oval Card 972 Accordion Rectangle Card 776 Oval Dots Frame Edges 2596 Lots of Owls Peel Off Stickers 509 Transparent Double Sided Tape 152mm 508 Transparent Double Sided Tape 64mm 507 Transparent Double Sided Tape 10mm 639 Warm Diamond Silk Microfine Glitter 802 Fine Pointed Scissors Other: Cardstock: white, aqua, teal Score Board Hemp Cord Copic Markers Foam Tape