Today we’d like to show you our first project for November’s Elizabeth Craft Designs’ Designer Challenge, which was created by Judi Kauffman. You can find more projects on our blog tomorrow so stay tuned!
By Judi Kauffman
As soon as I heard that the November Designers’ Challenge was ‘Gold, Silver, and White’ I decided to make some quick and easy Shimmer Sheetz ornaments. I’ve been making flat ornaments to tuck into my holiday cards for many years and the dies in the new Ornament Set 4 from Els van de Burgt Studio were just right for this quick and simple project. (My mantra has always been ‘Easy Isn’t Cheating’!)
I chose White Iridescent Shimmer Sheetz for the ornaments, Gold for the caps. I mixed in embossing folders for texture, Glitter Snowflakes and Glitter Flowers peel-offs for a pop of silver sparkle, and three different gold peel-offs just for the fun of it.
Shimmer Sheetz ornaments are super light; no extra postage is needed for mailing. Add a fine cord, 1/8” ribbon, or an ornament hanger and they’re good to go.
Remember, you don’t have to stick to the Challenge color scheme. Switch the palette in whatever way you want. Add more sparkle with Glitter Dots peel-offs or adhesive-backed gems or half-pearls, or simply add the ornament cap and create simple stylish unadorned ornaments. The Ornament Set 4 die set includes decorative overlays as well as the simple silhouette I chose for my projects; the possibilities are truly endless. It’s all up to you!
Let’s Get Started:
- Decide how many ornaments you want to make. This number determines the size of the pieces of Shimmer Sheetz will be needed. After figuring out how much is needed, layer two pieces of White Iridescent Shimmer Sheetz with Clear Double Sided Adhesive Sheet in between. (I die cut all eight ornaments from just two 3” x 6” pieces.)
- Using the silhouette ornament shape, die cut ornaments. Reminder: If you are new to die cutting Shimmer Sheetz, review Els van de Burgt’s YouTube video that outlines the technique. A Metal Adaptor Plate is required.
- Die cut a Gold Metallic Shimmer Sheetz ornament cap for each ornament, backing ONLY the bottom 3/8” of the piece of Shimmer Sheetz with Clear Double Sided Adhesive (6mm tape) prior to cutting. A small piece measuring about 5/8” x 5/8” is needed per cap. See photo below:
- Cut off the small oval at the top of each White Iridescent Shimmer Sheetz Ornament as shown in the photo below before adding the gold cap to the ornament. But do not add the cap to embossed ornaments until AFTER they are embossed.
- The photo below shows two embossed ornaments. Position the ornament inside the folder so that the cap area sticks out of the folder and does not get embossed. Optional – Lightly sand the Shimmer Sheetz to tone down the shine a bit. Add the gold cap after embossing or embossing and sanding.
- The photo below shows two ornaments featuring Glitter Snowflakes peel-offs. Using non-stick scissors trim excess peel-offs at the edges of the ornament as needed.
- The photo below shows two ornaments made with Ribbon Fantasy peel-offs, both the lace-looking strips and the leftovers from between them. Trim peel-offs at edges per step 6.
- The photo below shows one ornament made with Borders Leaves peel-offs, arranged diagonally in three rows, and another made with evenly spaced Lines Dots peel-offs and Transparent Glitter Flowers peel-offs. Trim peel-offs at edges per step 6.
Decorate both sides of the ornament instead of just the front.
Die cut letters to make monogrammed ornaments.
Die cut numbers to commemorate the year the ornaments were made.
Make ornament-shaped gift tags. Instead of Shimmer Sheetz on both sides, use cardstock so you can write on the back.
Make cards with removable ornaments on the front! Die cut a pine sprig, berry branch or holly leaves and ‘hang’ one or more ornaments just below the greenery.
Elizabeth Craft Designs –
SS0102 Shimmer Sheetz, White Iridescent or color of choice
803 Metal Adaptor Plate (required for die cutting Shimmer Sheetz)
Die cutting/embossing machine
Non-stick scissors (Fiskars)
Fine gold cord, 1/8” ribbon, ornament hangers (Optional)